How to recognize a “bandwagon” fan. Are you one?
With the New Orleans Saints entering the playoffs again, Tim Tebow causing epicness, and the BCS National Championship about to kick-off, I thought I’d like to go over what it means to be a “bandwagon” fan. Do you know someone who is one? Are you one yourself? Would you like to take a test?
Here are 20 rules on choosing a team to cheer for. The further down the list you go before finding your first reason, the more of a “bandwagon” fan you are.
Teams you root for should be chosen in this order:
1) A team you are personally involved with or a school you went to.
2) A team someone from your family is personally involved with or a school they went to.
3) A team in your HOME town.
4) A team closest to your HOME town.
5) A team that a close friend is personally involved with or a school they went to.
6) A team liked by the majority of your family.
7) A team in your HOME state.
8) A team in your CURRENT town, if different from your home town.
9) A team closest to your CURRENT town.
10) A team liked by the majority of your friends.
11) A team featuring a “hometown” hero.
12) You were once a bandwagon fan for whatever reason, but you’ve stuck with that team for a very long time regardless of bad seasons.
13) A team with a certain player which you feel compelled to watch.
14) The underdog.
15) You dislike that team’s archrival.
16) You cheer for the team with the least number of obnoxious fans.
17) The color of the uniforms.
18) The coolest mascot.
19) You dislike a team and you root for any team they play.
20) The team that wins every week.
Arguably, 17 and 18 could go in either order.